26 August 2012

LA - part 3 (aka Wednesday 22 August)

After showering & breakfast we headed off again, about 11am I think.  From my photos it appears that we made our first stop at the Hollywood Memorial Park.  Visiting a cemetery wasn't on my list of things to do but I am glad G took me there coz it was amazing.  I haven't been to many cemeteries back home but I am sure we don't have anything like this, and it's not the celebrity element that amazed me most, it was the Masoluem - where they have people in the walls!!!

Apparently there are coffins with people in them behind each marble 'headstone'.

It was amazing & sad that some of them didn't have birth or death dates, just a name.

They have spaces for urns too.  Some of them were very fancy, and some were very sentimental with photos, messages & items in behind the glass.

Is a very beautiful & peaceful place.

Took this specially for Sarah - turtles in the pond!!
Some of the more elaborate tombs.  And not all of them are celebrities either.
  
Huge tomb on an island in the middle of the lake.  No idea whose tomb it is, apparently not a celebrity tho.
 After a very peaceful stroll & drive around the cemetery we headed off to lunch.  Most notable sight on the way was Paramount Studios.

One of the entrances to Paramount Studios - the Melrose Road one.
 We went to a place G frequents.  Was very upmarket & trendy.  Great selection of food tho and very, very nice.

Ulrich had to have some of G's iced tea as I had drunk all my drink.

After lunch we headed off to find a pharmacy so I could get some better plasters (band-aids) for my blisters and a couple of other things.  As it so happened the pharmacy we found was next to a Whole Foods store.  Bought some fruit to munch on and then found this - Ulrich & I were quite excited.

Look at the goodies!!!

Took this photo & was then told by the worker that they didn't allow photos.  So sad coz the next counter had cakes - amazingly delicious looking cakes.

After our Whole Foods and pharmacy visits we headed across the street to the Farmers Market, which is next to The Olive Grove (which is apparently a rather famous place).


Ulrich offering to help me eat my ice cream sundae.  I got the cherry!  LOL
After a rest at Farmers Market we made our way back to the centre of Hollywood on a quest to get a photo of the Hollywood sign.  It was quite an adventure and interesting too.  I did manage to get a couple of ok pics.  Oh yeah, passed a couple of iconic Hollywood places on the way.

The Capitol Records building. Took a few passes to get a good shot.

Katsuya Restaurant - frequented by celebrities.

After a few stops & some daring driving by G we stopped so I could get out & get a photo of the Hollywood sign. And the best place for me to stand was in the middle of the street. An adventure I tell ya!

Taken full zoom with my wee camera. Seriously considering buying a better one.

And of course Ulrich had to get in the action.
 After our adventure we went back to the hotel for a bit of a rest & relax before heading out for dinner & a stroll down Hollywood Boulevard.

Ulrich testing the water with his toes.
We headed out for dinner and went to a place I had seen just down from the corner of Hollywood & Highland called "Mel's Drive In".  It was a diner type place and has become my favourite place to eat in Hollywood.

Mels Drive In sign at night.

They serve alcohol at the diner!!  Chocolate Martini - very nice.

Ulrich helping me decide what to have next.

The starter (entree) - breaded zuchini sticks, breaded mozarella sticks, breaded onion rings & breaded chicken.  YUM!!!!

The entree (main).  I think it was called the Big'n'Juicy burger & I got twirly fries with it.

The inside of the burger, after I had eaten the lettuce & tomato and the bun top is off too.  The meat patty is stuffed with bacon & cheese and it has bacon & cheese melted on top too.
 As you can see the meals are HUGE.  This was the only meal I didn't finish - I had the breaded chicken put in a 'take-out' box, and I didn't eat the bun top & only had a few twirly fries.

G & me at Mels Drive In for dinner.  Our waitress was extremely lovely. And not a struggling actress.  LOL

I think this was one called "The Beach".  Can't recall what was in it but it was very nice & rather potent.
 After dinner we went for a stroll down Hollywood Boulevard.  Looked at a couple of souvenir shops and went into the Hotel Roosevelt for a looksie.  The hotel is extremely nice, I took a few photos but they didn't turn out very well, will have to go back during the day and see if I can get better ones.

A view of part of Hollywood Boulevard at night.

Graumans Chinese Theater at night.

Peak hour traffic?  Nope, just your usual nearly midnight on a Wednesday traffic.
We headed back to the hotel about midnight, fluffed about & talked a bit and then went to sleep.

It was a very busy couple of days.  The next couple, not so much.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment