3 November 2012

San Antonio - part 1 - Wed 31st Oct & Thurs 1st Nov

Wednesday 31st October - had stayed awake all night watching tv and finally turned the tv off at about 7am and had a few hours sleep, got up about midday, sorted out my washing then got back into bed & watched some tv and didn't move, except to go toilet, for the rest of the night.  Turned the tv off about 11.30pm & went to sleep (with the help of a little blue pill).



Thursday 1st November - got up about 9am, showered & dressed and set out with my bag full of washing to the laundromat I had googled the other day.  Here I learnt another lesson - unless you have been past the place or it has been recommended to you by someone local, call first to make sure the information you found on their website is current.  It took about 20 minutes to walk there, and that was when I found out they are NOT a laundromat (as it says on their website) but they are a laundry service place.  Great!!  So, back to the hotel I went, dumped my bag of washing on the bed & then headed out to The Alamo.

Memorial outside The Alamo.
A wall of the original Long Barracks, part of what remains of the original The Alamo mission complex.
The 'shrine' of the Alamo - originally the Chapel.
The Calvary Grounds inside the walls of The Alamo.  I had just been through the Long Barracks where they didn't let you take pictures as it is actually part of the original structure.
Horse outside the gates of The Alamo - quite apt I thought. :-)
Entrance to the gift shop - not original, built 1986.
Aqueduct that ran through the complex.  Not sure if the concrete is original, but the path it follows is.
Guess what!!  LOL  An Alamo squirrel.
Part of the grounds inside The Alamo complex.
Really cool seat inside The Alamo.  Love the way they incorporate the Texas Lone Star and the Rose of Texas into the ironwork.
The 'Shrine' of The Alamo.  The entrance is around the other side. No photos allowed to be taken inside.  
The other part of the 'Shrine'.
The original well inside The Alamo grounds.

After visiting The Alamo I went across the road to the visitor centre to see what helpful information they had and bought an all-day bus/streetcar ticket, then I walked down the road, found a McDonald's so went in and had something for lunch.  I then found one of the stops for the bus/streetcar & got on the bus which did the yellow route.  I got off outside the visitor centre again and then walked down the road & did some more shopping.  I then caught the red route streetcar & went back to the hotel.  I decided to get some of my washing done via the hotel's laundry service, even tho it's outrageously expensive, as there are no self-service laundromats close-by and it would be a half-hour bus ride to the nearest one, followed by 2hrs of sitting around which would be wasting valuable sight-seeing time.  Then I checked facebook & emails, sorted & renamed photos and updated my blog.  Had room service delivered for dinner, watched some tv and went to sleep about midnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment