29 October 2012

Austin - part 1 - Tues 23rd Oct-Fri 26th Oct

Tuesday 23rd October - Slept in as I had nothing planned for this day except doing some research, sorting out the next stage of my holiday & doing some washing.  This was a good thing as when I went to have a shower I found that the water wasn't working so rang the front desk to report it and they moved me to a new room (and I have to say the new room was nicer than the 1st room).  Checked the water was working and all was good.  Got myself settled, checked emails & facebook, had a shower, dressed and then went to explore the shopping center next to the hotel.  Well, in it's heyday it was probably a very good place to shop, not so much now.  At least half of the shops/spaces were closed/empty, it was rather depressing in a way.  On a good note I did find a nutrition shop & was finally able to buy some more charcoal tablets.  There was also a Claire's where I spent about an hour and bought yet more stuff for Madison, and a couple of things for my sisters, Christine & Michelle, as well.  Walked out a different way to see if I could find the Wendy's which was nearby, according to google maps.  Didn't find the Wendy's but found a Jack in the Box so had a bite there & I have to say it is very good, I prefer it to McDonald's.  I then made my way back to the hotel and what do I spy with my little eye on the way?? Something beginning with 's'.  Yip, a squirrel!  I hadn't seen any squirrels while in New Orleans and had missed the cute little critters.  And then a bit further on and across the road, what is that I spy with my little eye - a Wendy's! Yes, what had started out not a good day had done a turnaround and was now a good day.  I made it back to the hotel, sorted out a couple of things then decided to read my book for a bit rather than sit at the computer or watch tv.  Of course, not long after I started reading I fell asleep, so I turned off the lights and went back to sleep.


Wednesday 24th October - Got up about mid-morning and made the mistake of checking facebook before having a shower.  An hour or so later I made it to the shower, dressed and then prepared to do some research on the next stage of my trip.  After getting excited & happy that I had found a couple of good tours of Monument Valley I was then deflated when I found out there is no public transport that goes nearby the towns nearest to Monument Valley.  So much for that plan.  I decided to go and console myself by having Wendy's for lunch, so headed out into a somewhat sunny, but rather warm, day.  I walked the shorter than I thought distance to Wendy's had a nice late lunch/early dinner (lunner??), bought a couple of burgers for later (microwave & fridge in hotel room) and then headed back.  I stopped at the Greyhound station on the way back and bought my bus ticket for San Antonio.  Got back to the hotel & decided I better book a hotel in San Antonio.  I also thought I might do a ranch stay as well, since I wouldn't be going to Monument Valley, but then when I checked the calendar I found that doing a ranch stay would conflict with my Grand Canyon south rim tour, so flagged the ranch stay.  I then sorted the last of my New Orleans photos and updated my blog.  Decided to head to bed about 10pm and read my book for a bit until I fell asleep.


Thursday 25th October - I did plan to give myself some retail therapy but I didn't wake up until lunchtime so that put the kobosh on that idea.  After I got up I checked facebook & emails then started sorting out the timeline for the last 3 weeks of my trip.  Got hungry so got dressed & walked to Jack in the Box (I can have Wendy's at home), had lunch and then walked back which used up about an hour & a half.  I then got into booking my Grand Canyon South Rim tour (booked it for 6th November - Mum's birthday) then sorted out bus tickets & hotels.  Finally got everything sorted & booked about 7.30pm and felt so tired I closed my tablet & watched tv to relax.


Friday 26th October - got up mid-morning, showered & dressed and was then on my way for a day of retail therapy.  Went to Barton Creek Mall and spent just over 6 hours shopping.  It is a huge place, and had a souvenir shop so got my magnets and a couple of other things.  There was also a Sears & a Macy's there so finally got to visit those stores.  All I can say is it is lucky my niece isn't here coz there is SO MUCH cute & lovely & pretty & cool girls stuff I would buy.  There's not really a lot of stuff for boys tho, and all the t-shirts a long-sleeve & I wan't short-sleeve, but I did manage to find a cute t-shirt for my nephew, and it has a digger on it!  Got back to the hotel about 7pm, looked into getting something delivered for dinner but got pissed off at the pizza places websites - you don't need my address to show me a menu!!!  So I ended up eating my Godiva Chocolates for dinner.  Sorted out the stuff I had bought & packed most of it up to be sent back to my friend in LA for safekeeping until I get back there.  Watched some stuff on youtube, watched some tv, then finally went to sleep about 1am.


No comments:

Post a Comment