30 September 2012

Cincinnati part 6 - Mon 24 Sept - Wed 26 Sept

Monday 24 September - got up late.  Went to the outlet shops with Amanda & Renee to do some shopping.  Bought a couple of things for Madison.  Picked up Larry on the way home then went to Walgreens to get a couple of things, visited Jaicelyn for a couple of minutes & went to thrift store to get a jacket for Amanda.  And while there I found a long black winter wool coat with a hood, which I bought.  Then it was home for chicken & dumplings for dinner.


Tuesday 25th September - after Amanda got home from work we headed off on a day of missions.  First was a visit to Chuck E Cheese.  OMG!!  What a wonderland for kids that is!!  We played a few games & got some tickets and then had lunch.  When we checked the time we found we had been there nearly 2 hours!!  Then it was off to the post office to get me a box so I could send stuff back to G for safe-keeping and then to Jungle Jim's to get some lamb so I could cook an authentic Kiwi meal, which ended up being lamb rissoles, nothing fancy but everyone liked it.  Larry & Vickie were taking Renee & Violet to Renee sisters so I hitched a ride to Walmart to get a couple of things.  They dropped me off at a Walmart and there I experienced the worst customer service since arriving in the USA.  I wanted to try on a couple of tops but the fitting rooms were closed & they refused to open them up or let me try them on in the restroom and the only help/advice they gave me was that I could take them home & return them the next day.  EXCUSE ME!!!  Why do I have to go thru all that hassle to spend my money at your store!! Suffice it to say I left the dozen or so items of clothing at the checkout for them to put back and left the store to wait for Vickie & Larry to pick me up.  We then headed to a Walmart closer to them where I experienced some of the best customer service ever.  I completed my shopping about midnight & we headed home.

CHUCK E CHEESE!!!
Inside Chuck E Cheese - games galore!! 
A couple of the games we played. 
More games.
And more games.

Amanda & Pip as drawn by Chuck E Cheese.
Me in the Nascar game - didn't win any tickets, came 22nd out of 26. Had so much fun tho!!
This must have been just after I smashed into one of the other cars.  LOL
Amanda playing Mouse & Cheese - a whack-a-mole type game. 
Found more interesting stuff my 2nd time at Jungle Jim's.  A 776lb (353kg) cheese. 
Halloween cheese!! 
Animal & flower cheese!!  NB: it's just the wax shell that is decorated. 
Singing & swinging can of soup.
Extremely cute fruit!!!
And yes, that sign means 2 feijoa's for $5 - ie. $2.50 each!!!

Wednesday 26th September - Vickie & I headed off to Union Terminal which now houses a couple of museums as well as the Amtrak train.  We arrived about 12.30pm so had a bite for lunch first then headed to the Museum of Natural History and Science.  It was much as I had expected - fossils, stuffed animals, etc - but with a focus on the Ohio state area, which was quite interesting, and there was a Nature Trail which was a full size recreation of the landscape & animals.  I then visited the Cincinnati History Museum myself while Vickie waited in the main lobby.  They had diorama's of downtown Cincinnati & surrounding areas circa 1940, and the lighting was constantly changing to imitate a whole day every 8 minutes.  Which was good, but annoying when trying to take photos.  The museum took you through WWII and then back further to when Cincinnati was first settled.  I was in the middle of watching a short video about the flatboatmen when a lady interrupted it & told me it was 5pm and the museum was closing so I was rushed through the rest of the museum and didn't get to see much.  We then headed home and had a turkey dinner from Bob Evans for dinner and then watched Snow White & The Huntsman, and then headed to bed.

Walking to Cincinnati Union Terminal.
Cincinnati Union Terminal.
One of the gorgeous paintings inside the main entrance of the terminal.
It's nice that they left some of the old signs up, and that they did the new signs in a similar way.
You can just imagine the glamour of the 30's, 40's & 50's from looking at these signs.
Start of the Nature Trail inside the Museum of Natural History & Science.
More Nature Trail - this was my favourite part of the Museum.
Sabre-tooth lioness & cubs on the Nature Trail.
Walking & flying dinosaurs.
Diorama of Downtown Cincinnati circa 1940.
As above.  These were REALLY COOL!
Aren't I inside this at the moment?  Cincinnati Union Terminal circa 1940.

No comments:

Post a Comment